Friday, January 19, 2007

Encounter - SWAMI SATCHIDANANDA


My Encounter With --
SWAMI SATCHIDANANDA


---This encounter took place in the early 1980’s. I heard him speak at an ashram that he had, in CT. He suggested we pull our seats closer to hear better. This seemed like a good idea, but when he was done speaking, I realized that I was the only one to do this. Everyone else stayed where they were.
---I went back to my friend and I admit I felt a little sheepish. We had some snacks and we watched a video – About Space and Rockets, etc. It had a quality of expanding one’s Consciousness, but I remember being very focused on the fact that he had told a follower to make a copy. I do remember thinking to myself that you shouldn’t make copies. What is Swami doing? I didn’t say anything, but Swami is having a copy made. It surprised me not saying something, as I felt that correcting ‘’everyone,’’ was my DUTY and CALLING. I’ve grown a little since then.
---I bit my tongue, said nothing aloud, and he proceeded. He proceeded like it didn’t phase him. He mentioned how he would really like to be at his home, playing with his goats. It was kind of amazing how he had his followers, on the edge of their chairs, listening about goats. They seemed they enjoyed seeing Guru Dev, that’s what they called him, having a good time.
.
---My SWAMI Moment---
.
---It was time for him to leave, so we all got out of his way as he made his way to the car that brought him. I would like to say, ’’It Was Like The Parting Of The Red-Sea,’’ but it wasn’t that dramatic or special. As he passed where I was standing, he suddenly stopped. He pointed, and said to his disciples [of which I was not one], ‘’You should ALL be like this man. He isn’t even really here.’’ He gave no explanation, just walked on. I didn’t say anything, either, but I did think that this was kind of NEAT.
---I thought of some lame comebacks later on, but on the way home we ended up talking about my friends upcoming wedding,’’ I remember saying that I didn’t think that he was marrying for the right reasons, like I would know what the right reasons were. I was looking to hear about ‘’PERFECT LOVE,’’ and I just wasn’t hearing it. I shortly left MA., and cannot tell you if he married or not. Like I said, the 1980’s were about correcting and being sure that ‘’mistakes’’ weren’t being made.
---Anyway, back to my Swami moment, I feel that he was referring to a certain OBJECTIVITY that I have. It is due to my left-hand being as it is. Remember, I was born with the four fingers missing on my left-hand.
I will add this. The left-side is the SUBJECTIVE side, while the right is the OBJECTIVE. I was born very right-sided, and marijuana use only enhanced this. Being so imbalanced, I experienced a ‘’breakdown,’’ eventually.
---In a ‘’Nutshell,’’ figuratively and literally, I went ahead of myself and did not honor things that I still had to do. I had some ‘’Uncooked-Seeds.’’ I ended up with ten incarcerations in different Mental Hospitals across the southern USA, over the next 17 years. It was not fun.
---I would like to say it was like, ‘’ONE Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest,’’ by Ken Kesey. But it was neither like the Movie nor the Book. It was more the same as the idea of it, as a saying. I think that the Movie made quite a statement, nonetheless. Billy Bibbit was NOT stuttering while he felt ACCEPTED by his lady friend and peers. He was even standing up to Nurse Ratched. But as soon as his Mother was mentioned, there was the stuttering, again. Then, his guilt became overwhelming.

What Should We Learn From ALL THIS --

1. That we shouldn’t ACCEPT snacks from A Swami?
ONLY if you’re NOT HUNGRY.

2. Moving your chair causes embarrassment? NO.

3. Copying things is very wrong, and a point should be
made, no matter what else is going on. NO.

4. When Swami’s move, WATCH OUT. NO.

5. Watch the ‘’WOODSTOCK’’ Movie, and see a bit
of Swami on film. [BUT, don’t copy it.] WATCH
only if you want.

6. Jack Nicholson should play Swami Satchidananda
in the Movie? NO.


---If Society is ‘’The CUCKOO’S Nest,’’ then Swami ‘’Flew Over.’’ But, we see that the Cuckoo’s Nest has a relative quality to it, so I’ll bet that we ALL have our own Cuckoo’s Nest’s that we have flown over, at one time or another.
---We can see how one’s Attitude toward what he is dealing, gives one his Flying Over ability. There are certain things that I’m sure we see ‘’immediately,’’ and some things that we struggle with as poor Billy did, in the movie.
---The ‘’Good News’’ in it ALL is that we have respites. And, if Billy was able to identify the problem he was having, as even we were, then he could get beyond those things and situations that hold him back. Through a short moment of ACCEPTANCE, Billy ‘’FLEW OVER’’ his ‘’CUCKOO’s NEST’’ [stuttering,] for a time. The ATTITUDE of ACCEPTANCE, where ‘’One feels good about things,’’ works wonders. As far as Swami and myself were concerned, his ACCEPTANCE was pretty NEAT. Be Well.

No comments: